Sunday, October 9, 2011

'Hobbit' Is Yet Another 'Boys Club' For Evangeline Lilly

Even though the big-screen adaptation of "The Hobbit" is based on J. R. R. Tolkien's beloved book, everyone knows the movie version won't be an exact replica and that there will be a few surprises in store when the first film hits theaters next year. One of those surprises director Peter Jackson already announced is the addition of actress Evangeline Lilly, playing the newly created role of Woodland Elf Tauriel. MTV News had a couple of minutes with the actress at the premiere of her new film "Real Steel" on Sunday night, and we snuck in a few "Hobbit" questions, asking for a progress update on the elf fight training she endured for the role. "Elf fighting, let me just say something, recovering from labor is like recovering from a full-body injury, and I didn't realize to what extent that was true until I started training for elf fighting," revealed Lilly, who gave birth to her first child in May. "My hips don't move like they used to move, my back doesn't move like it used to move, my shoulders are sore every day. But it's fun." The former "Lost" actress said she's also enjoying the "chilled out" atmosphere of filming in New Zealand, as well as being a part of yet another male-dominated cast. "It's kind of, like, my M.O.," Lilly said about being one of few women on set. " 'Lost' was a boys club, 'The Hurt Locker' was a boys club, ['Real Steel'] was a boys club, and now 'The Hobbit' is a boys club. So I'm used to it. ... It's really chilled out and relaxed, and everyone is really down to earth and supportive." Finally, we asked Lilly if she'd been able to glean any words of wisdom from Jackson's previous leading-lady elves, Cate Blanchett as Galadriel and Liv Tyler as Arwen in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. "I wish! I would love to talk to those women, and they're two women who I deeply admire," she said. "Cate Blanchett is in this film, and I missed her; we didn't cross paths. She was filming before I got there and was gone by the time I arrived. "But the good thing is, I tried not to copy their performances," she added. "I really wanted to have something original, so I intentionally didn't go back and watch 'Rings' for that reason. I just want to create something new." Check out everything we've got on "The Hobbit." For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com. Evangeline Lilly Photo: Kevin Winter/ Getty Images