Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Anna Kendrick Explains Why 'New Moon' Fans Should See 'Up In The Air'

WESTWOOD, California — Most actors would be thrilled to be involved with either an Oscar-winning movie or the biggest box-office hit of the year. If you believe the hype, Anna Kendrick might just be in both.

A few short weeks ago, the 24-year-old actress walked the red carpet at Mann's Village theater for the premiere of "New Moon." Then on Monday night, Kendrick returned to answer questions about the awards-season buzz surrounding her role as a fast-talking junior executive opposite George Clooney in "Up in the Air." Elegantly attired in a white gown, the fast-rising actress talked to us about fashion, billiards and why she didn't bring Rob Pattinson as her date.

MTV: Anna, I remember the day when you came to the MTV office in a tank-top and jeans, and you had just cut your elbow skateboarding. Now you're a beautiful awards-season diva!

Anna Kendrick: Yeah, nobody really commented on it, because you couldn't see my bruised-up elbow. I haven't tried skateboarding since then; that was a mistake. But I'm trying to look very poised and elegant. I don't know if I'm succeeding.

MTV: You've reinvented yourself.

Kendrick: I'm trying, man. You should see my apartment; it's still a nightmare. It's such a painful irony to try to scrub up like this and look very put together and elegant.

MTV: Is it different being here tonight than at a "Twilight" premiere?

Kendrick: It's quieter. Much quieter.

MTV: Did you try to talk Rob into coming, just for old time's sake?

Kendrick: Just so I can have my eardrums bleed? No. Why would I do that?

MTV: In this movie, George's character has a life goal of achieving a certain number of airline miles. What is your life goal these days?

Kendrick: I want to learn to play pool. I don't want to be one of those chicks in a bar that needs her boyfriend to set up a shot for her. That would be a life goal.

MTV: How are you now?

Kendrick: At pool? I'd rather not say.

MTV: Twilight Nation is very excited that you might be the first Saga star to win a major award.

Kendrick: Oh? I thought they wanted Rob to win.

MTV: You've seen our poll?

Kendrick: I did see the poll!

MTV: The only reason we put that question on there was because people are talking about you being such a contender this year. But the fans gave you only a 1 percent chance to be the first "Twilight" Oscar winner, and Rob got 43 percent.

Kendrick: That's OK. Everybody has their favorites, and ultimately I just hope some of the "Twilight" fans will come see this movie. That's all I really ask for. I've done my job; I'm proud of this film.

MTV: Why is this a movie that would appeal to your "Twilight" fanbase?

Kendrick: It's a movie that appeals to everybody. It's a timeless story. It's a romance, but it's also about people who are trying to figure out what they want in their lives. Everybody goes through that. "Twilight" is more of a fairy tale, but this is a story about real people. And everybody likes that.

MTV: As you head into awards season with such buzz, have you prepared any speeches yet?

Kendrick: No. I haven't even been nominated for anything, so I don't even need to worry about that.

Check out everything we've got on "Up in the Air."

For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.



Mariah Carey offers fans a chance to meet her‘New Moon’ Ticket Buyers Favor Robert Pattinson, Ashley Greene In New Poll